Unique London Station Serving Many Lines
THE IMPORTANT POSITION at Willesden Junction is largely due to the fact that it is the meeting place of lines from the north and west of London. The first station, half a mile to the north of the present building, was opened in 1844. To-
WILLESDEN JUNCTION, five and a half miles from the Euston terminus of the LMS Railway, occupies a special place in the British railway system, and there is nothing quite comparable with it as an interchange point. It may not have the spect-
The position of Willesden Junction relative to the main railway system north of the Thames is analogous to that of Clapham Junction in regard to the lines south of the river. The two stations are, in fact, largely complementary, since so much traffic passes between them by way of the West London and West London Extension Railways; a link in the transport system of the country whose importance has never been realized by the general public.
The importance of Willesden Junction is a matter of long standing. In the days when the London and North Western Railway was still a separate undertaking the station was a vital traffic-
THE CONCENTRATION at Willesden Junction can be seen from this diagram, which shows how the lines converge on the station.
The present passenger station, which is, in fact, three stations in one, is the third, although its two predecessors were not on the same site. The first, which was opened in 1844, was about half a mile to the north of the exist-
The “Outer Circle” line from Broad Street crosses the main LMS Railway at Willesden Junction (High Level). Thence a line, formerly the North and South-
sea and Clapham Junction. Through LMS eclectic trains run on this line from the High-
Express”, from Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, and Sheffield, run from the Low-
for Chatham, Margate, and Ramsgate.
The New Station at Willesden Junction, which was opened in 1915, and is exclusively, given up to electric traction, is used both by Bakerloo and LMS trains. This station affords a striking example of the recent changes in the working of short-
further striking development of the kind is embodied in the new “Five Year Plan” for London transport, which contains schemes for linking up the tubes with the Great Western and LNE Railways. The track-
scheme that embraced both suburban electrification, with Watford as the ultimate objective, and widening the track so as to provide six running roads between Euston and Watford.
The first portion of these works to be finished was the Camden widening -
Park Station are used also by the Bakerloo trains, bear off to the right, or “up”, side of the Low-
ENGINE SHEDS at Willesden Junction, where there is a large locomotive depot. Five of the above six locomotives are modern LMS engines, but the engine second from the left is a former London and North Western Railway 4-
Although the present traffic dealt with at Willesden Junction is greater than at any previous period in its history, it has lost one of its former distinctions. For years many of the express trains out of Euston and nearly all the up expresses used to stop at the station, where tickets were collected on the up journey. A reference to the London and North Western time-
omitted Willesden Junction, only two up expresses -
On the down journey the stop at Willesden Junction was often made for locomotive purposes. When a train was heavy enough to require assistance up the Camden bank, but not heavy enough to need “double-
In 1900 there were several local services that have now disappeared. These included services between Willesden and Croy-
For some years a through restaurant-
From the standpoint of both passenger and goods traffic, the prominence of Willesden Junction is largely due to its position as the meeting place of the West London and North London systems. The former has already been the subject of consid-
Three Stations in One
This is true, also, of the North London Railway, a line whose history has, from the beginning, been connected with that of the London and North Western Railway.
The North London was incorporated in 1846, as a subsidiary of the London and Birmingham Railway, which in the same year amalgamated with the Grand Junction, the Liverpool and Manchester, and other concerns, and became the London and North Western. Its original title was “East and West India Docks and Birmingham Junction Railway”, but the high-
has ever been so large and important a dock owner, and the Bow “shops” have often been described, with justice, as a well equipped miniature Crewe.
THE “SUNNY SOUTH EXPRESS”, shortly after leaving Willesden Junction in the days before the grouping of the railways in 1923, hauled by one of the London, Brighton and South Coast 4-